Note: This web site is only kept up to date for OSG Software
1.2 (VDT 2.0.0). If you are looking for information for the most recent
release, the RPM-based OSG Software 3.0, please see
the OSG documentation web site
Very often, a list of so-called Frequently Asked Questions is simply
an excuse not to write decent documentation. If you find problems with
our documentation, please let us know and
we will try to fix the documentation to meet your needs.
That said, there are some commonly asked questions that don't fit
elsewhere, so we will answer them here.
- Why should I use the VDT instead of getting software directly
from the people that make it?
- Much of the software provided by the VDT is complex to install and
configure. The VDT installation process hopefully makes this much
easier for you.
- We patch some of the software with the
latest bug fixes that are hard to track down and apply yourself.
- We provide a complete package so you don't have to get software
from many locations
- How do I download the VDT?
Normally you don't, but you use Pacman--an installation program--to
do so. If you wish you can download RPMs and Debian packages for a
subset of the VDT.
- Why do you use Pacman instead of RPM, Debian packages, or
<Your favorite packaging format>?
Pacman can run as root or non-root. Pacman is easy for non-system
adminstrators to use. Pacman is a convenient solution when software
packages are delivered to us in many formats. And we are planning on
supplying a more complete set of RPMs and Debian packages in the
future so you can choose what you prefer.