Note: This web site is only kept up to date for OSG Software
1.2 (VDT 2.0.0). If you are looking for information for the most recent
release, the RPM-based OSG Software 3.0, please see
the OSG documentation web site
VDT Native Packaging Configuration System
Configuration Settings Repository
This system includes the backing store itself plus scripting code (standalone
and libraries) to provide clean APIs for other scripts to use.
- Holds all configuration settings, their metadata, and current values.
- Provides consistent API(s) for moving values in and out: command-line, Perl module, Python module?
- Can read from config.ini file and write back out (without formatting, order, and other metadata changes).
- Accepts new settings and metadata from configuration scripts (intended for post-install time).
Component Configuration Scripts
There is one script per software component that needs scripted configuration.
These are the extensions of the existing configure_* scripts.
- Contains all configuration code for a component in a single script.
- Called at packaging time to prepare install directory for packaging.
- Does as much configuration at packaging time as possible.
- Called from its containing (VDT) native package as a post-install script.
- Deprecate and/or remove command-line options for supplying values to settings.
- Use the configuration settings repository to obtain values of settings.
- Implements a common command-line API to handle different invocation use cases: packaging, post-install, etc.
Configuration Controller Script
The final piece of the configuration system is a single script that can run
all other configuration scripts.
- Replaces configure-osg with a simpler script.
- Components use this script to register and deregister themselves and their configuration dependencies.
- Runs all known configuration scripts in a topological sort by dependency.