Note: This web site is only kept up to date for OSG Software
1.2 (VDT 2.0.0). If you are looking for information for the most recent
release, the RPM-based OSG Software 3.0, please see
the OSG documentation web site
Note: This version of the VDT (1.3.6) is no longer supported. Feel free to look through the documentation and install it, but we cannot guarantee support for it. The current stable release is 2.0.0.
What to Install?
The VDT is a collection of several software packages; most of these
packages provide both client and server components. Many users
install the VDT for a specific reason and never make use of the other
components. For this reason we've designed several task-specific
subsets of the VDT. If you're concerned about installation time, disk
space or just installing unnecessary software you can choose the
package that works best for you.
- This package will give you a complete VDT install. You can
see the full list of software on the
- This package will only install the client side software of the
VDT packages. If you want to submit jobs to remote grid sites
this is the package for you.
- VDT-Gatekeeper includes all the software you'd want for
setting up your own grid site. If installed as root this package
will configure the gatekeeper for you as well.
- VDT-SE-DRM includes software for a storage element based on
DRM. This includes a GridFTP server and some utilities.
- Just enough setup to have all the Globus servers (gatekeeper,
gridftp and MDS)
- Just enough setup to have all the Globus clients such as
globus-job-run, grid-info-search, and globus-url-copy.
Individual Software Packages
If you like, you can install individual components from the VDT. The
authoritative list can be found in the
Pacman cache. Here are the components:
- The Condor batch system
- An implementation of SRM from Berkeley.
- Scripts to build a gridmap file from remote databases and VOMS servers.
- Scripts to update certificate revocation lists
- An alternative to bash that makes it easier to write reliable scripts.
- Just the bare Globus essentials like GSI (grid-proxy-init and globus-url-copy)
- The data management server portion of Globus (GridFTP server)
- The information management server portion of Globus (MDS server)
- The information management client portion of Globus (grid-info-search, etc)
- The resource management server portion of Globus (gatekeeper, etc)
- The resource management client portion of Globus (globus-job-run, etc)
- Install this after Globus-RM-Server and Condor if you want to use
Condor as a jobmanager.
- A version of OpenSSH that works with GSI certificates
- The Grid User Management System maps grid user certificates to local credentials
- The client/administrative component of the Grid User Management System
- The service component of the Grid User Management System
- KX509 can help you build a public key infrastructure on top of an existing Kerberos install
- The MonALISA monitoring system
- A secure system to store and renew certificate proxies
- A Python interface to Globus
- A convenient alternative to globus-url-copy that provides a
more user-friendly interface to FTP and GridFTP.
- The Virtual Data System (Chimera and Pegasus)
- A combination of VOMS-Server and VOMS-Client
- A way to interact with the VOMS server to get X509 certificates
with role information in them using voms-proxy-init
- The VOMS server and admin interface for running a virtual organization
After picking the VDT subset to install there are a few more questions to answer.